Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Waiting

I don't really enjoy the waiting stage. I know it is part of life, but I'm still always looking for the action. I've always loved that part in Dr. Seuss' Oh the Places You'll Go about the waiting place.

Anyway, we are in that stage, waiting...waiting to get some info from the zoning department, waiting to find the right location, waiting for the right people to come alongside us.

We aren't passively waiting. Teri and I do what we can until we get a place. We do a lot of praying and thinking and talking and dreaming and debating and then more praying. And we do some reading and researching.

Not to long ago, we spent a day at an amazing place called Grace Place in Naples, FL. Stephanie Campbell, the director of Grace Place, was more than generous with what they have learned. She lent me a book entitled Good to Great, and I finished reading it over Christmas break.

The author, Jim Collins, says that if a non-profit wants to be great, it must answer three questions.

1. What are you deeply passionate about?
2. What can you be best in the world at?
3. What drives your resource engine?

For the past few days, I've been in the waiting place with these three questions. They are big, deep, difficult-to-answer-honestly questions. My waiting space is feeling a little crowded. At the same time, I know they are important questions, and I hope I have the discipline and perseverance to wait it out and find the best answers. I am also so thankful that I'm not waiting alone or left to find the answers on my own. I have an amazing group of friends and family whom listen to me blabber as I  try to process all of this out loud.

Check out www.graceplacenaples.org. They are living the dream, at least what Teri and I dream Seeds of Grace could become.

Hope I didn't keep you waiting. When I tried to post last night, I had some obvious technical difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment