Saturday, May 19, 2012

Could a day at the beach change the world?

Disclaimer: I am not, nor do I claim to be, the perfect parent. I screw it up as a mom all of the time. Also, for many of the parents of my students, life is so complicated and tough, that even a trip to the grocery store can be a real challenge. I'm not blaming anyone or saying if I were in their shoes I could do it differently. I am saying, "there has to be a better way, and how can I help?"


For the most part, I would say I haven't spoiled my children. I expect them to do what they are asked, to use their manners, to think for themselves, and I love each of their little steps towards independence (dressing themselves, brushing their own teeth, going up the stairs by themselves to get whatever it is they left behind). We don't buy the newest toys, we own no gaming system, and although they may have a lot of clothes, many were worn previously or picked up on the clearance rack. But...there is one way my husband and I have intentionally spoiled our children. We have spoiled them with experiences. 

We go to the library about once a week.

Both of our girls have been to Haiti.

We have taken our oldest daughter to live theater productions.

Today we went to the beach, and on the way Isaac and I talked about a trip we are planning to take to Washington D.C.

For being six and two, they've done and seen a lot.

Today when we went to the beach, we picked up rocks and shells and talked about how old they might be or how they got to the shore. We stopped to notice a rabbit hopping around the dunes. We built a sand castle and talked about how important it is to have the right mixture of water and sand. These are the same things my parents did for me, and they are things many of my friends would do with their children without even thinking. 

On the way home from the beach, my mind drifted to the dreams Teri and I talk about and the plans we are trying to make. And, I thought...here is another example of how different My children's lives are from many of the students I see every day. 

You see today was a day I could have easily taken for granted, that my children quite possibly took for granted...but for at least half of the students I see at school, it would have been an extraordinary day. 

Teri and I often say we wish parents realized how important the "little things" are. If we could somehow get parents to feed their children healthy meals, read to them every day, give them a bath, and put them to bed on time consistently; we think this would be a different world. And, then I wonder if you could add a trip to the beach or a museum every once in a while on top of that regular, basic care and attention...

I don't know of any fix. I don't know how to "make" any of that happen. I just know that if we could help a few parents learn how important these things can be, we just might change a few kids lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment