Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thank You!

Teri and I started dreaming this dream more than a year ago. We gathered a group of people to start talking about this idea almost a year ago. During that year..

We have made several book bus trips. We have made friends and acquaintances. We have watched these friends and acquaintances experience highs and lows. We have looked at more than ten pieces of property. We have given away hundreds of books. We have had two lengthy conversations with the zoning board. We have started this blog and passed out a few business cards. We have prayed and asked others to pray. 

We continue to believe that moving into the neighborhood is vital. 

"the Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood."
                                                            John 1:24 The Message

But, we are sensing that God is telling us maybe our "plan" isn't really his plan. There is scripture about that too.

So, we are taking a few steps back and re-thinking.

Re-thinking is difficult work. It isn't far from repenting. It is discouraging, even if it is necessary. 

I want to thank all of you whom have been so encouraging! Reading, commenting on the blog and in person or via email, praying, doing, suggesting, listening,  traveling with us on the book bus, volunteering to help us re-organize our book closet, sending cards and donations- these are all things people have done for us. 

And, as we are in these foggy, rethinking kind of days, we appreciate all that you do even more. 

We know sunny days are on the way! We hope that as we travel through these harder days, you will continue to pray for us. 

We really want to follow God's plan not ours, even if that means we never have a place to call our own. 

We have been talking about gathering for some corporate prayer, but in the mean time please include us in your daily prayer time- I'm not even exactly sure what to ask you to pray for. But there is a prayer written by Thomas Merton that expresses so clearly where I think we are...maybe it will give you some inspiration as you pray for us. 

Again, thank you all so much for all of your encouragement and support.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, 
and the fact that I think that I am following your will 
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always, 
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, 
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
                                            -Thomas Merton

 

1 comment: